Pages

Monday 10 July 2017

Possums In NZ - Winter Learning Journey: Huriata


On your blog, tell us whether you agree that New Zealand should be predator free. In your opinion, is it right to kill all of the predators (eg. possums) or should we just leave them alone? On your blog tell us what you think and give us, at least, three reasons why you think this way.
Image result for possum

I think it's fine, my reasons are -

Native Wildlife

The native well known creature named the Kiwi is in danger - from it predator, possums and stoats. I don't think it's wrong at all to kill them off if it's for the sake of our native animals. Possums are also not rare, nor are they native - they are literally in other countries, a bigger population than in NZ. For the sake of our endangered species I will agree to this system.

Native Plants/ Trees

The reason for this is because possums eat's native trees, little ones. But it interferes with the tree planting because they like to eat small saplings, which concludes in no trees.

Road Kill

Most of them die on the road too, where they rot and create more flies, the things that carry bacteria. It's overall disgusting.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Huriata,

    I totally agree with you! I used to do some possum hunting when I lived on a farm and they are not nice pests, so I was happy to help hunt them!

    Nicky :)

    ReplyDelete