Pages

Saturday 8 July 2017

Day 1: 100% PURE New Zealand : Facts About NZ - Winter Learning Journey: Huriata


Fun Fact's about NZ

If you were to look closely at our country, New Zealand kinda just looks like an upside down boot.

Image result for new zealand map
But then if you were to look at Japan - that country just looks like a bigger, backwards way New Zealand! Amirite (Yes, yes I am)
Image result

...


New Zealands different climate!
Well, nz has a very different climate during the years - December,January, February being the hottest times of the year and July being the coldest. Which might seem odd for other countries to hear 'Summer Christmas' The average temperature also starts to decrease as you move nearer down south too, going down to about 10°C (14°F) or lower.
Fun Fact: On July the 25th in 2011 there were snow storms occurring over a period of weeks (I remember a lot of hail back then in my old school - had a lot of ice fights/ snow ball fights. One dilemma was that no-body wore gloves so our hands got cold and we got sick)



...

New Zealand's population of who?

New Zealand homes around 4.4 million people, 69% have European ancestors, 14.6% are indigenous  Maori (Really? What about white Maori's, did they count that in as well?) 9.2% Asian and 6.9% Non Pacific Maori (Tongan, Samoan)

It is believed to be that the Maori were Polynesian voyagers that settled here in NZ/ Aoteroa. The native people of NZ (Maori) is the main core of how NZ is today - and that the maori share their land and their aroha towards others. But now it's different as children learn negative things from others words and actions...

New Zealand is best known for selling/ producing manuka honey, a health beneficial and delicious treat used by beaty companies and others. This honey is quite rare and expensive - and is shipped to other countries to sell. Not only that, but NZ is well known for their dairy products, cows and milk too.  

    


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Huriata and welcome to the Winter Learning Journey blogging programme! I am thrilled that you've joined us this holiday!!

    I am also thrilled to see that you have already posted so many activity blogs. Way to go - you are setting a great example for everyone at Tamaki Primary and really inspiring them to keep up with you. Nice job!

    I enjoyed reading all about New Zealand and learned a number of new things about the country from your blog post. For example, I did not know that 6.9% of kiwis are of Pasifika descent. I see that 14.6% are indigenous Maori (which can mean both white and brown-skinned Maori). My son, Aronui, is half Canadian (like me) and half Maori (like his dad) and his skin is caramel coloured (very light brown). He is so proud of his heritage and often tells people that he's a kiwi-Canadian. It's quite sweet! I love that Aronui has the chance to grow up here in New Zealand, to learn more about his culture and to have the chance to become a Te Reo Maori speaker.

    Do you speak more than one language? I speak English and a little bit of French...

    Keep up the great work, Huriata! I am so impressed with both the quality and the quantity of your blog posts.

    Cheers :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel,
      And I understand why your son would be proud - kinda like how I found out that I had a tongan family. I kinda know I little Japanese and the tiniest amount of Chinese. French is a neat language, my aunt learnt to read french/ speak because she had to read a speech in front of them or translate English to french for them.

      Delete