Pages

Tuesday 15 August 2017

Huriata - Tōku Tuakiri - Poetry: Trees

Trees
By Huriata Paraone

I am Huriata
Black, my skin from the earth to the night duvet which Matariki sleeps in
I stand on breathing lands, and ride the largest stingray
I live afar my sleeping lands, the stingray guide me home
For my glazed over onyx gem that shows me what I am
I am Maori, I am Tongan

My whanau lived among many mountains and rivers, trees and sand
Caves wide like an owl's eyes, forest deeper than a king fishers fall
This clay and red wood, is my ancestors welcoming whare
The hair of tangaroa, my people swim in         

My ancestors
You planted a tree, a leaf so green, a bloom I see
And the harakeke you left us, we’ll weave wisdom and wit
For that in a next life, the after, the beyond, the where my eyes shall take me
I will be an ancestor to someone sane to meet heights, fall far but fly like a tui.




No comments:

Post a Comment